The world's longest gravel hill climb
SAT 18 to Sun 19 April 2015
It's back - the world famous REPCO Race to the Sky!!
Race to the Sky was last held in 2007 and over the weekend of 18 and 19 April 2015 it's being bought back to life by the team from Highlands Motorsport Park!
The Repco Race to the Sky is now the longest gravel hillclimb in the world, following the sealing of the Pikes Peak hillclimb route. Competitors navigate the Cardrona Valley course that's 14.5 km in length, includes 135 corners and climbs from 450 to 1500 metres above sea level. There is no doubt the return of the Race to the Sky, backed by Repco and presented by Highlands, will be a legendary weekend of motorsport action!
Over the weekend of 18-19 April, more than 100 competitors in cars, motorcycles, quads and off-roaders will compete for the prestigious title of the Repco Race to the Sky King of the Mountain Champion and their class victories! Who’s your favourite – Monster Tajima in his Super 86 hillclimb special, Alister McRae in the Vantage Subaru WRC or Tony Quinn in his brand-new PACE Innovations Repco RTTS Extreme 4WD? What about Red Bull’s Chris Birch on his KTM, Ian Ffitch on his mighty Super Quad or Rocket Ron Kirkman, one of the few to have contested all ten earlier Race to the Sky events and back again for the Repco-backed edition even though he’s now in his late 70s. Click here for the full entry list.
The best seat in the house is easy to find in the main spectator area on the edge of the Repco Race to the Sky event village, facing the famous Cardrona hillside and in full sight of the big screen placed on the start flats. From the southern end of the pits, spectators can also access the walkway which leads to the bridge and walking access for viewing from turn one. The walkway will be well signposted and spectators are asked to follow the directions of safety marshals at all times. The walkway and turn one spectator point is not suitable for families with children in pushchairs.
Enjoy the festival atmosphere in the event village - as with every Highlands' event, there’s plenty to keep the whole family entertained including:
- Wanaka songstress Jody Direen and her hugely popular pop-rock-country sound – on stage throughout the day
- Multiple champion motocross trials rider Jake Whitaker and his crew demonstrate their skills on specialised motorbikes over a cool obstacle course – on the start flats throughout the day
- An impressive team of ten title-winning wood-choppers from Otago Southland demonstrate how to swing an axe using good balance and hand-eye coordination on the standing block – in the family area throughout the day
- Lots of great kids’ entertainment – climb and slide on the monstrous Spiderweb climbing structure, play GIANT games - giant pickup sticks, giant dominos, giant Jenga and giant Connect 4 are all free to play in the family area beside the stage. For the littlies, there’s face painting and a bouncy castle – always great fun!
- Cruise through the competitors’ pit area, talk with the drivers and riders, collect autographs and check out the huge variety of awesome machines contesting the longest gravel hillclimb in the world
- When you’re in need of refreshments, head over to the array of food stalls serving hearty, warming meals or take a break in the public bar.
From the Wanaka lakefront, follow the signs to Cardrona/Queenstown onto McDougall Street which continues onto Cardrona Valley Road. Around 22.5 km, look for the Repco Race to the Sky event venue.
From Queenstown, head nor-east toward Cromwell, but take the Crown Range Road toward Wanaka before the Kawerau Gorge. The Repco Race to the Sky event venue is approx. 27 km from the bottom of the Queenstown side of the Crown Range.
Tickets will be available at the gate. An adult day ticket is $50 (for 16 years and over). Please note the weekend pass option at $80 is not available at the gate – these are pre-sales only. Please visit www.ticketdirect.co.nz (print your own e-ticket option only) or the Highlands Motorsport Park office to purchase these by 5pm Friday before the event. Children under 16 years of age are free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Join us over the weekend of 18 and 19 April and to be part of the return of a truly world-class event with unique Kiwi heritage!
The REPCO Race to the Sky presented by Highlands - be there!